When I asked Charlie if he would like to have another go at a recipe he said, “ooo yes please!” I suggested it should be a sweet dish which his reply was chocolate cake! I should have guessed as chocolate cake is his favourite.
Just like his previous recipe of the Gluten Free Bolognese he had to draw out his chocolate cake design plan.
This cake is like a cross between a Victoria sponge and a chocolate cake so it isn’t too moist. Charlie topped it with chocolate fudge, icing, raspberries and malteasers; however, it can be decorated to your taste and is equally as good plain.
To make it vegan use baking fat in the sponge and vegan egg replacements.
Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe
- 175g Gluten Free Self Raising flour
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 175g very soft Butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 125g light soft brown sugar
- 1 170g tin evaporated milk
- 125g dark chocolate
- 50g soft butter
- Blue icing
- Two 7” sponge tins lined
1.For the cake sponge weigh the flour and add into a mixing bowl along with the cocoa powder and baking powder.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat together.
3. Divide the cake batter between two cake tins and bake at 170C for 30–35 minutes until springy. Leave to cool while you make the fudge topping and filling.
4. For fudge topping combine the second lot of sugar with evaporated milk in a saucepan.
5. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 6 minutes and then remove from the heat.
6. Use a balloon whisk to whisk in the chocolate, followed by the butter. Transfer to a bowl and chill for one hour.
7. Spread half of the fudge topping on one sponge and place the other one on top. Use the rest to spread over the top and sides and decorate with malteasers and icing.
8. Enjoy your giant yummy gluten-free fudge cake!